That topic has been discussed at length in the SEO community but recent events got me back to it. I have to tell this story and get it off my chest as I found myself both on the validation advocate side and the seo side.
So a few days ago I stumbled upon a huge traffic drop over the week-end, like half of the traffic was gone, gone. That evening, I checked all the possibilities on why the heck half of a site traffic would suddenly disappear; maybe some referrers? search position drop? email delivery? etc. to no clear signal. Everything was going the same direction: down. Continue reading Code validation and SEO
As many professional SEO people already know, Web accessibility and SEO are often tied together. Those area of expertise are just starting to hit mainstream Web Development if we can say so. Moving forward to develop better website, search engine optimization knowledge and more recently accessibility are important assets. Let see how title tags and headings can both add context to your site. Continue reading Better Title tags for SEO & Accessibility
Approaching the incredible 500th follower pretty quick on Twitter, I had the crazy idea to make a little and fun contest ;) A quick and easy contest for all my followers. How to enter and win ?
- Follow me on Twitter.com/sammyQc if you aren’t already doing so.
- Predict the day and time I’m going to hit 500 follower on Twitter. As I received and automatic email each time I got a new follower, the email time will be match to the more accurate contestant. All time are EST.
- Tweet the following message with your time and date prediction
I predict @sammyQc 500th follower at 9:99PM february 99th. Predict and Win http://is.gd/jzcM #sammyContest
Price ? 50$ CAD (50$ for 500 followers ;)) on Amazon.ca gift certificate, or on your local Amazon store.
Bruce Lawson from Opera is right, the gap between web worker working on “traditionnal” agency and on the edge consultant isn’t going to narrow anytime soon. Web workers need to really get their hand (and their directors and the upper management team) on accessibility.
Web Accessibility and Web Standards are good for SEO
You need to get those upper managment people that web standars and accessibility are good for their business. Name it whatever you want but get the CEO buy-in as he’s going to push it down afer for you. Continue reading Accessibility worth it for businesses
Greg Wolejko wrote a post giving reasons why to jump in the Microformats wagon for entrepreneurs and business owner. Some really good reason and I’m more than happy to see more conversations going on about Microformats in a business way. It’s too often only geeky stuff.
Better markup – more meaningful markup allowing more semantic info to be added, enhancing quality of your site.
Saves time – Microformats are standardized ways of adding markup to a specific kinds of informations (events, contact information, blog posts) and therefore remove the need of coming up with own markup thus saving time.
Staying ahead of competition – the whole Semantic Web thing just gains momentum so using Microformats is the new cool thing to do (look at BBC or Yahoo or even last.fm).
Provide value – easy to use as changes are only done in the presentation layer (read: HTML markup) but benefits go beyond adding enhanced markup.
I will also add that Microformats and Web Semantic help you build future proof websites, which is for any company with already an aging website a concern.
A quick post about some of the new features coming out the #2 Digg Town hall and my personal thought :
- Announcement of a more integrated Facebook feature, integrated friends.
- They are currently working on a new comment system. What? another redesign, I found the current one really usable.
- Digg may implement a new system to manage micro communities inside the digg website, to more reflect the digg diversity. Thats the feature I’m personally looking too, I’m eager to see any Mixx community functionality.
- They say that they are not working on word or url specific that user may filter, but they are working on a NSFW filter.
- The upcoming section will have major improvements to boost the usability in the next few months, right now there’s too much submissions to go through. It will display more targeted submissions based on your and your friends activity. Again this kind of feature can boost micro community.
- They are testing a new version for the anti dupe detector. Will detect dupes before you even fill the form for the title and description. Great feature. So they will crawl your url .. can be extend to some anti spam features too maybe with DOM inspection…
- They are working for podcast and videos sections integration. Great! podcast are just dying right now, sadly.
That’s it : )
edit : the new comment system is up since few days and its blazing fast, great improvements in speed. All the highlights on the Digg Blog.